.Congratulation to Shalvi, Sugar Sisters Trainee Pastry Chef for being awarded a Silver Medal at the National Hospitality Championships. She represented Sugar Sisters at the NZChefs 2016 National Salon, at the Auckland Food Show on the 27th July 2016
Shalvi competed in the Live Dessert Challenge in the Trainee Category. Competitors had just 60 minutes to produce four identical desserts featuring fruit. They were judged on the standard and quality of their food, and the efficient use of energy in creating the dish. We loved Shalvi's recipe so much we thought we would share it with you.
Spiced Apple Streusel with Blackcurrant Mascarpone Cream, Blackcurrant Coulis & Apple Crisps
Granny Smith Apples 350gm
Cinnamon Stick 1
Star Anise 1
Ground ginger 1 tsp
Caster Sugar 35gm
Water 2.5 tsp
1. Dice apples; Put them into a pan along with cinnamon, star anise, ginger, cloves, caster sugar and water.
2. Cover the pot, bring it to boil and then down to simmer.
3. Cook for 5 minutes until water has evaporated. Add more water if the mix is dry to prevent caramelisation of apples. Cook apples to just tender.
4. Let it cool in a colander to sieve out excess water. Place in a ring or rectangular mould.
Standard Flour 25gm
Brown Sugar 20gm
Ground Cinnamon ½ tsp
Rolled Oats 20gm
Whole Almonds 20gm
Ground Ginger ½ tsp
1. Melt butter.
2. Chop Almonds and mix all the dry ingredients.
3. Add melted butter to dry ingredients and mix.
4. Bake at 170C in a lined baking tray for 6-8 minutes until golden.
The streusel can either be baked on top of the apples or deconstructed and served cold like Shalvi. Both are delicious!
Frozen Blackcurrants 300gm
Water 140 ml
Caster sugar 75 gm
Lemon juice (optional) 2 tsp
1. Cook blackcurrants water and caster sugar together until berries release their juices.
2. Let it cool and mix in blender until smooth.
3. Pass through sieve and reduce in saucepan if required to achieve the correct consistency. 4. Add more sugar or lemon juice to taste.
Mascarpone cream 80gm
Blackcurrant coulis 50 gm
Vanilla 1/2 tsp
Smoothen the mascarpone and whip cream with black currant coulis until firm. Adjust sweetness with icing sugar if needed.
Make it Dairy Free & Vegan:
Make it Gluten Free:
Make it Nut Free: